Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Can you drive to the North Pole?"



This question started the little road trip I'm on today.

I write this from a hotel room in upstate New York on our way from the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown (a very quaint and worthwhile trip, even for ladies!) to points north unknown!

When I got back from a recent trip to Alaska I found out my husband finally had happen to him what he had been anticipating for awhile. In an effort to prune the extra departments from the bank to make it more marketable on the selling block, the bank where he had kept his leasing/lending department profitable for 23 years decided he was done. And so he is. He banters the word "retirement" around, just for fun.

I love this man. He has stretched me and made me laugh for nearly 30 years now...and in this little summer season he needs me to understand, to travel, to listen, and to just be. Hard things for me, all of them. But because I ABSOLUTELY believe that not one thing happens to me that hasn't been okayed by my heavenly Father, I know this is for my growing. I am being made into the image of His dear Son.

So much work for God to do while I walk this earth. So much sanding, pruning, polishing. So I receive this with a smile, and consider it an adventure. It is.

I don't think you can quite drive to the North Pole. But I'm pretty sure Canada is within reach. I'll let you know what we see and learn. Did I mention we had to drive back 2 hours to get one of our passports? All kinds of opportunities for growing on this trip!

5 comments:

NJD said...

Hey, Myra,

I am loving your blogs and look forward to reading them as you travel about. Perhaps I'll have to take a lesson (or five or six) from you to learn how to do this. I touched on blogging in one class but we did not have to write to each other, so this is new to me. (Out teacher read our blogs and commented.) I hope you are enjoying your time with Ken. God works His timing perfectly as we both know. If Ken's bank had waited another month or so, you would be back at school and he'd be home by himself all day. I'm glad you both know who is the Master and when trials come, it is only his way of polishing and refining you more for His purpose. God is the potter, we are the clay, and oh, how beautiful is His work. Enjoy the beauty of His creation as you travel north. Who cares if you can drive to the North Pole, it's what you see as you drive that makes the trek worthwhile!
Peace and Love,
Nancy

Uhmbagah said...

Wow...you guys are too funny! Great adventure awaits you! I cannot wait to hear how God reveals HImself on this little trip to everywhere and nowhere...

Unknown said...

When I was little we used to go to the North Pole every year (aka Santa's Workshop in North Pole, NY). So in my opinion, yes you can drive to the North Pole! haha. Hope you are having fun!

Lucrecia said...

Oh, God's timing. Refiner's fire comes to mind as well. Hope u both are having a wonderful adventure together. I drove to North Pole, AK from Fairbanks, AK in March. I'm pretty sure you can drive there from where you are...but it would be a VEEERY long road trip. Looking forward to your next update.
Love u both, Lucrecia

Amy said...

I have so much to learn from you and from your example, Myra (Ken, too!) Thank you for being such a wonderful blessing in my life and for spreading the JOY that comes from trusting our God!

Enjoy the adventures (each other and God's creation, too!)