Monday, July 13, 2009

What the Morning Gives Me

I'm not as much of a morning person as I used to be. Oh, I still prefer the early sun filtering through the trees sparkling the dew on the grass to any other site of the day. It's just that since my bout with stress and anxiety last year, the daily med I take with my vitamins and my premenapausal self have conspired against my first daily joy. I'm working on that.

When I do get the treasure of an early morning rise, before the commuter cars swish down The Pike below my house, I always find some new discovery awaits me. I love the notion that I'm seeing things in a day that would be missed (and will be missed) by sleeping others. The frog sitting quietly on the edge of the pond rocks--I imagine him deep in morning gratefulness (or perhaps attracting breakfast with his statue-like stillness). The happy chirping of those baby wrens as mama or papa swoops in the birdhouse with breakfast. The irridescence of slug paths (my newest archrival as they nightly FEAST on my hostas, petunias and other shady plants) sparkling their victory over the sidewalk. WAIT til they get those long-promised beer traps (haaa!) The newest blossoms at just the right moment in their growing that promises THIS will be their day to open!

I love to be home in the summer from my teaching gig. On mornings like these I forget the call of my King is what prompted me into the city and into teaching. I sort of hunger again to be a stay-at- home mom (ok, I'll have to get a new title because she's 21 and clearly is hardly home herself!) I guess what I'm really getting at is...I feel you here, Lord. It's quiet, gentle and so very rich in these morning moments. Do teach me how to walk here early like this in my busy school year. Your creatures remind me how diligently You have given your attention to all You have created. No wonder I love the morning!

3 comments:

Amy said...

oh how I have missed that beautiful harmony that you bring into this world, Myra!! What a beautiful post and a magnificent reminder! I especially love your "About Me".

Much love and misses,
Amy

Mommadear said...

As always, a smile finds its way to my heart and eyes when they fall on words written from your heart. I will LOVE this new mantle that has been thrust upon you, which you have begun beautifully. Remember...you know who to call when you need a tall baby/mansitter. (And when it reads "Stan" said...it's usually his lovely other half.) :)

Cheryl Bigenho said...

Myra, quit your day job and get a publisher! You always express your thoughts in such a beautiful, yet simple way. I'm proud of you for setting up a blog. I just finished one too....for a grad class....for our trip. It's listed on my FB page if you'd like to follow our galavanting in Europe. Blessings on you today!