Friday, August 3, 2012

Look What I Made For Under $20!

My daughter's mother-in-law and my new friend (yes, they're the same person!) is being thrown a surprise birthday party by her children and I wanted to make something special for her. She's just the kind of person like me who appreciates a gift from the hands and heart...so I accepted Christina's Adventures' challenge ( go to http://christinasadventures.com/) to try to create something using less than $20.
Below 20 THURSDAYS
I recently saw a pin on Pinterest of a wedding thumbprint tree for guests to contribute their thumbprint as a memento of the day for the newlywed's wall.  I knew my friend would cherish such a thing...but instead of black and white I wanted to try to incorporate the idea into a sort of "watercolory"style for her newly redesigned bedroom.

So, thanks to a Michaels Craft store 20% off coupon ontop of a sale I used the following:
*11x16 stretched canvas (bought for buy-one-get-one at 9.99 less 20%)=$8
*4 greens-Ink pots set-Tsukineko Fade Resistant Memento Dye Inks (which I'll use over and over again in teaching (9.99 less 20%)=$8
*4 colors of acrylic paints I had (probably @89cents each new) I used a color wash technique so I really used very little.
I also repurposed an acrylic frame and printed directions for the party guests to use. (see below)
The finished product is
I know the lighting isn't great. You can see a light green "blob" in the middle of the blue on the right with a black squiggle above it. That's MY thumbprint using one of the lightest shades and my name written above it as an example for guests to see how it's done.  One the tree I lightly included her initials as if it were carved in the wood.

  The wording is from Psalm 1 in the Bible.  I'll take a new pic once the party's over and all the "thumbprint leaves" and signatures are in.  I was told to plan for 40+, which is why so many branches.  If you do this, just plan your branches to handle the amount of guests you may have. The leaves will cover some of the branches and I believe the end result will be charming.
Here is the direction frame:

Obviously I like to paint, but you could do this as a gift for someone's baby shower, wedding or even a big birthday commemoration like this one. It's a great art piece to treasure for years to come!
ENJOY!

2 comments:

Christina said...

that looks beautiful, Myra!!! You did a great job and I'm sure she's love it :)

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! This is gorgeous and generous and full of love from your heart and hand! How beautiful!!