Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Slowing Down


Sometimes you just need to go with the flow. I'm learning that this summer...or at least it's on the plate and I'm tasting it. My sweet husband of 28 years whose been my companion through many summers after 6 pm has this summer become my full-time companion. His job was cut. Severance, unemployment. Summer off. Not fearsome or worrysome so don't worry for us...it's always all good when you know you have a King who allows what comes.

SO... I am enjoying a very different kind of summer for a teacher. I now know exactly how many seconds the refridgerator should be open, and how annoying it is when I leave a stack of things on the steps to be taken up later.
But I also have a walking companion, someone to take me out to lunch, swim with and another person who does the laundry. And even as I type there's the buzzing of a saw where a lovely potting shed bench is being constructed for me. Such blessings.

Back to slowing down...today--a Tuesday--we decided to go tubing on the Delaware. How delicious in the middle of a work week (even for a summer off teacher I'd be doing projects and tasks) to drop everything and flop on an inner tube and sit in the quiet, nature-filled breeze of a sunny day on the Delaware. The payoff? Floating silently past turtles basking, little ducklings learning to swim, and my husband's delighted smile as he relaxes deeply in such a glorious day.

Sometimes you just need to go with the flow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How awesome tubing was! Refreshing and renewing to be out there. Its amazing to feels God's warm embrace in a location He created! Thanks for writing down your eloquent thoughts. I love to hear a sliver of your heart on these "pages". It is neat catching up with you this way, there truly aren't enough hours in my days anymore. I miss you mom!